Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Problem with Bontrager Duster 29 wheels...
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Problem with Bontrager Duster 29 wheels...

Problem with Bontrager Duster 29 wheels... 3 years ago #30364

• Gabes
  • Gold Member
Bontrager Duster : this is the wheel set what came with my 2010 GF hifi 29.Weak and not durable,even if I keep it trued and tensioned!My question is ,if i replace the stock spokes to DT Swiss spokes ,is it gonna help any?Or just waste of time and money?Would the DT spokes make my wheels stronger ?
"The king on the mountain only can go down!".............Or stay up!-Arnold S.

Re: Problem with Bontrager Duster 29 wheels... 3 years ago #30365

• rickram88
  • Platinum Member
Gabes - I don't have much experience on this subject. However, I can comment on my experience with ALEX rims and spokes that were stock on my Specialized Rockhopper. They are not that good and an entry level wheel. Considering how hard I rode those wheels with my weight, they actually aren't too bad... At about 700 miles into my bike the stock spokes were popping and I was replacing with DT spokes. I was told that DTS's were stronger... so I went with it. Up until I had to start replacing the DTS's is when I started questioning the strength DTS's. Total of original spokes on both wheels replaced were about 15 (more on rear wheel). Usually I replaced one at a time as they broke and learned how to true my own wheel. I still run those wheels on my single speed with the understanding that spokes are going to pop.
GFTS member and volunteer sawyer / trail work crew.
Mountain to the Sea trail volunteer sawyer / trail work crew.
Trail Captain: Hagan Stone Park.

Re: Problem with Bontrager Duster 29 wheels... 3 years ago #30368

• Gabes
  • Gold Member
15-15 replaced each wheels?!Wow I have to feel lucky than!I only popped a few on both.....So the wheel strength mostly depending on the wheel ring or wheel frame (i am not sure how you call it) not on the spokes?...

Re: Problem with Bontrager Duster 29 wheels... 3 years ago #30369

• S29er
  • Gold Member
How many spokes have you broken? I have a set of Dusters that came stock on my 2009 Rig and I have never had a spoke pop... I haven't even had to tru the wheels. I have well over 1500 miles logged on the bike and I ride hard + I am 220lbs. I don't think that better spokes are going to help much. May be worth just upgrading the entire wheelset and keeping the dusters as a back up.

Re: Problem with Bontrager Duster 29 wheels... 3 years ago #30370

• Diesel
  • Platinum Member
The rim determines wheel strength but also good even spoke tension. You might benefit from having the spokes re-tensioned by a local shop. Machine built wheels are notorious for not being properly tensioned. Loose spokes break and spokes too tight will crack the rim. Your rims are probably strong enough when the spokes are properly tensioned.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Scott

Re: Problem with Bontrager Duster 29 wheels... 3 years ago #30381

• Gabes
  • Gold Member
Actually I don't have complain about popping spokes.I think I only broke like 3 of them during the 1000 miles what I have on them.My problem is the wobble what always comes over ,even when my wheel has been trued and tensioned no matter I did the job or the bike shop...same o same o....all the time !It just getting out of shape too easy...Yeah of course I am 215lb and I never miss the logs and the bumps but I am not doing the 'crazy stuff'.....Simply I just wondering if I spend 100 $ on better spokes ,if its going to worth it or not...Stronger spokes gonna help to keep my wheels strait or not ....but my understanding is after all ,look like I gonna have to spend on other wheels!I heard around 500$ the Stan's ZTR flow 29 pretty good for the buck ....Let me know if there is any other suggestion around that price range!Thanks for the respondes !!! Gabe

Re: Problem with Bontrager Duster 29 wheels... 3 years ago #30391

• Diesel
  • Platinum Member
I don't think you need new spokes, they just all need to be tensioned properly. The entire wheel can be re-tensioned. Truing the wheel when overall tension is wrong is pretty temporary as you have found.

Ask a local shop to measure the overall tension and to bring the drive side up to near maximum tension. The non drive side should be whatever needed to true the wheel.
Park Tool site lists most Bontrager wheels at a max of 132Kgf which is pretty high. You may want to check with the local Bontrager dealer for specs and ask them to check/re-tension.

Good luck with the issue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gabes
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds